Instructor: David Andalman
There are two sessions of the same workshop
Session 1: 10:00AM – 2:00PM
Session 2: 2:30PM – 6:30PM
This course is open for all the members. No pre-requisites. This training is exclusive to 10active members of the Editors Guild.
Custom Titles - finding inspiration, using free downloads, illustrator, photoshop, Premiere, Avid, and After Effects to give your projects titles that help the story shine. We'll look at tone, mood, and the ability to exposit critical information to create suspense or move the story forward. Style, size, placement and other aesthetic elements will come into play. We'll take a look at classic titles and title cards used throughout the history of American cinema - and discuss how they work, then go through the process of creating original titles and title cards. We'll bring these titles into your non-linear editor, and add classic animation elements if desired. Additionally, we'll cover a brief introduction to camera tracking and motion tracking in After Effects. This tracking data can also be applied to titles and other graphical elements.
- Brief introduction to After Effects camera tracking and motion tracking, data that can be applied to GFX and titles.
- Watch classic scenes from movies with titles, chapter, or other use of stylized text
- Share a project you’re working on that might need a title (or other text to hide exposition, such as in a chapter card or other super imposition)
- Find inspiration for each project based on genre, concept and vibe
- Finding free downloads to stylized fonts
- Installing new fonts
- Customize stylized text using Illustrator
- Customize stylized text using photoshop
- Adding the new text elements to your project and giving them basic animation
David Andalman wrote and directed the comedy American Milkshake (starring Tyler Ross, Shareeka Epps, and Leo Fitzpatrick), a Sundance NEXT selection that sold for US Distribution to Kevin Smith Movie Club and Phase 4 Films. His short works have participated in the majority of top US festivals plus the Whitney Biennial. His most recent pieces starred the academy nominated Chloe Sevigny and the singer songwriter Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy. As an editor, assistant editor, and associate editor, Andalman has worked for Barry Levinson, Jason Blum, and Jane Rosenthal, as well as cut pieces that have won both an Emmy and a Clio.
Please e-mail email@example.com to RSVP
Note: No walk-ins and no guests will be permitted. You will receive a confirmation, once you are registered. No phone call RSVPs will be accepted.